Straight from the Scullery

a blog about life, love, and the pursuit of food and happiness...

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

I'll Miss the Dragon

February 9, 2013 marks the last day of the year according to the Chinese zodiac. When we wake up on the 10th, the Year of the Snake will commence. Focus. Discipline. Slow, continuous improvement. Attention to detail. That is what the Snake asks of us in the upcoming year.

And that's all good and well, I'm sure it will serve good purpose (Really? A whole YEAR of that??) Perhaps my blogs will truly begin to show a regular pattern of writing. My training runs might actually be able to IMPROVE my trail running times rather than being put off to bake a cheesecake. Achieving the nine goals that I wrote down for myself on January 1...those all have the potential of coming to fruition. I suppose there is potential here.

But ohhh how I will miss the Dragon that we are leaving behind. Dramatic events, full of unpredictability and fun. Dragon years are fantastically lucky ones with regard to new relationships. The advice for the past year had Dragon telling us to relax and enjoy ourselves. The Dragon Year was also full of generosity, good will, and extravagant food in front of us.


Does all of that really have to go away?

I am a Boar, after all...you know the twelfth of twelve in the Chinese Zodiac...the one who finished last in the race because he stopped...you guessed it...for a meal. By nature the Pig (I really prefer Boar, but most of the references are made to the Pig, so I am working with it...) is laid back, happy, simple and trouble-free, and loves food. We also have exceptional relationship skills, for the record, but would you like to know what is most interesting to me as this new year begins?

Pigs really don't like Snakes. And, to be fair, Snakes don't like us either.

However, I like to think of myself as a positive person, one who can find the silver lining within any situation in the world. And so I am searching it out, admittedly a little desperately. But I am certain it is there, the positive in the upcoming Chinese year. More than certain.

It could be calm, which can be nice from time to time. The Snake could mean a year of good health, and I'd appreciate an end to the obnoxious winter cold I can't seem to shake. If you listen to your heart, apparently, and do the right thing during a Snake year, it can lead to inner enlightenment. I'm thinking that could be a helpful trait to carry around. Audrey Hepburn was born in the Year of the Snake, for goodness sake. It can't be all bad. (click here for Audrey Hepburn's favorite meal)

And so the plans are to celebrate the Chinese New Year with egg rolls, fried rice, Szechuan chicken, and fortune cookies. Well, those aren't really Chinese, actually, but when they are homemade they are just fantastically delicious. And for goodness sake, you get to write your own fortunes.

I'll have to learn to let go of that decadent Dragon. The grandeur, the creativity. And *sigh* the mouth watering meals.

It will be okay. After all, I'm a Pig. And I am certain that a Pig is never far from fantastic and delectable cuisine. THIS Pig sure isn't, anyhow.

Perhaps, in honor of the elusive Snake of 2013, I'll have to make that my focus.

Dragon Year Chicken Fried Rice

4 cups of cooked rice, cold
1/2 lb chopped up cooked chicken
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup petite green peas
1 medium onion, finely diced
1 diced green onion
4 strips of cooked bacon, chopped
light soy sauce (according to taste)
oil for stir-frying it all together

Scramble the eggs in a large frying pan (or wok), then push them to the side while you heat up the oil. Stir-fry the onions, add the peas, the chicken, and finally add the rice and stir-fry it, mixing in the eggs as it all cooks together. Add the bacon, and finally the right amount of soy sauce for your taste and serve it right out of the wok.

No comments:

Post a Comment